Museum Development UK are thrilled to be working in collaboration with volunteer sector specialists 10GM to offer an intensive Volunteer Development Programme for up to 20 museums from across participating areas in the UK.
This project has arisen due to the dual challenges of a longer-term shifting volunteering workforce in the heritage sector, and the particular strains of the last 12 months due to the pandemic. Through the Museum Development (MD) Annual Museums Survey results and, localised surveying through regional teams, and the results of the Spotlight survey in Wales, a clear need has emerged to support organisations to review their operating models to ensure volunteering is sustainable and responsive to the museums needs and the communities they serve.
Programme Aim: To support participating museums to review their volunteering strategy and explore new ways to embed sustainable volunteer development practice tailored to individual organisational needs.
Programme Outcomes: Participating museums will:
- have reviewed their operating model and business/ forward plan through the lens of volunteer resourcing
- understand the volunteer skills needed to deliver their operating model
- have a plan to develop their volunteer workforce through appropriate recruitment, training and resources to meet defined organisational needs
- have developed appropriate volunteer policies and procedures
- have identified volunteer management roles and responsibilities within the workforce
- have embedded inclusive practice into volunteer development
- have an organisation specific action plan for volunteer development
The intensive programme will allow 20 organisations from across the 5 participating areas; Wales, North West, North East, West Midlands and the East Midlands to benefit from hands on support as developing their volunteering practices, including:
- Group sessions: thematic and supportive sessions with peers; to share and discuss issues concerning volunteer involvement and management, and to support progression through the programme
- Coaching: each participant will access to tailored coaching sessions with an expert in volunteer development from across the volunteering sector.
- Network building: support and advice between group sessions allowing participants to share successes and challenges and build a supportive network across the UK.
- Training: a programme of three online training workshops on specific topics around:
- Developing volunteering practice, including plans, policies and procedures
- Developing a volunteering strategy
- Inclusive recruitment of volunteers
The above training will have ringfenced spaces for all participating organisations, and we would encourage museums to sign up for the sessions most relevant to their action plans in this area.
How to apply:
Pleas read the full Volunteer Development Programme – Programme Information taking note of the key programme dates. Once you have reviewed your eligibility please complete the Expression Of Interest Volunteer Development Programme and return by 5pm on the 1st October 2021. For more information about the programme, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or your local Museum Development provider.
MDUK are committed to providing accessible and inclusive opportunities for the sector and have a dedicated budget to address any need. Please outline any details in your Expression of Interest.