Museum Development East Midlands (MDEM) and West Midlands Museum Development (WMMD) in 2023 are providing a small cohort of museums with the opportunity to receive professional advice to improve access for visitors. MDEM and WMMD have commissioned Direct Access to deliver this programme.
Each venue will receive a site visit from Direct Access resulting in an accessibility audit and report identifying a comprehensive list of tailored, prioritised recommendations based on current standards and legislation, delivered alongside expert training and advice.
About the consultants
Since 2004 Direct Access and its team of NRAC certified Access Consultants have provided access consultancy for thousands of buildings and services across multiple sectors. Millions of people daily use a service or premises audited by Direct Access. Direct Access’ clients range from small community museums such as Nantwich Museum to large sites including Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum in Scotland, Bodelwyddan Castle in Wales or UNESCO World Heritage sites such as the City of Bath and its Roman Baths.
This programme consists of three elements:
1) Accessibility Audits
- Pre-arranged Accessibility Audit visit to your site conducted by Direct Access between April and July 2023
- Accessibility Audit Report – Each venue will receive an access audit report in PDF format identifying a comprehensive list of tailored, prioritised recommendations based on current standards and legislation. The recommendations will also be provided in Excel format for ease of implementation, so that this can be developed into a ‘working’ accessibility plan.
- Creating an Effective Access Plan – Direct Access will deliver a short online training session on Thursday 21 September 2023, via Zoom, to support participating museums to use their accessibility audit reports effectively.
- Participating museums submit a Case Study to their regional Museum Development provider outlining how they have used the ‘Open to All’ programme to improve accessibility at their venue by 29 February 2024.
- Museums publish updated accessibility information for their venue online no later than 29 February 2024.
Participants in the Open to All programme will also have the opportunity to attend additional accessibility training to further extend skills and understanding. These events will be promoted and booked through regional Museum Development programmes.
How to apply
Please read the full programme information as part of the below application form, and complete and return the form to firstname.lastname@example.org 9am 3rd April 2023.