EMMS and MDEM Tender Opportunity – Review
The East Midlands Museum Service (EMMS) and Museum Development East Midlands (MDEM) are looking for a consultant to conduct a comprehensive review of the two organisations, leading to a suggested future plan to provide a more streamlined museum development provision in the region.
Below you’ll find the consultant brief, information on who we’re looking for and information on how to apply. If you’d like more information then please contact sarah.Hartshorne@leics.gov.uk
To undertake a comprehensive review of museum provision from EMMS and MDEM in the region, making a clear set of recommendations for a streamlined or revised structure going forward, including guidance on the legal and financial implications.
What we are looking for:
- Robust knowledge of charitable organisational structures and operation including partnerships between local authorities/ charities.
- Understanding of organisational membership models
- Access to legal advice regarding organisational structure modelling
- Excellent communication skills – experience of working with a variety of people
- Excellent knowledge of diversity of the museums sector in terms of types of museums/ needs/ issues
- Excellent facilitator
- Knowledge and understanding of Museum Development in terms of funding, operation and core objectives
- Experience of working with local authority, independent and charitable sector
Scope and Outcomes:
The EMMS Board has proposed options to consider regarding its future. All involve a new and closer way of working with MDEM. MDEM programme board is open to considering these and to finding a clear and definitive solution that will enable delivery of a more cohesive regional sector support offer going forward. The logistics and legalities involved in each option need exploring and explaining to both EMMS and MDEM boards so they can make informed and appropriate decisions about the future.
The work should be informed by the current ongoing REDS review.
The consultant needs to:
- Consult with a section of EMMS membership (c. 8 museums to be identified by EMMS) – by telephone
- Survey – online across beneficiaries of both organisations [facilitated by EMMS/MDEM]
- Consult with MDEM manager and programme officer and LCC head of department (and Chair of programme board) – by telephone/ meeting
- Consult with Chair of EMMS board by telephone/ meeting
- Consult with consultant currently undertaking REDS review
- Consider operational implications and opportunities of proposed options, as well as legal and charitable obligations.
- Convene and facilitate a meeting of both MDEM and EMMS boards to feedback from consultations to discuss the processes and procedures involved with any decision (considering legal and charitable requirements).
- After a decision is made regarding a way forward; to provide a written final report to both boards about the process of change that will be required with an outline action plan.
- Sector consultations should take place during the summer of 2018 – August
- Joint boards meeting should take place in early Sep 18
- The final report should be presented by early Oct 18
- £10,000 inclusive of all costs including travel
- Meeting rooms can be booked through MDEM/EMMS team and costs of meeting covered by MDEM/ EMMS
- Some administration support can be provided through Culture Syndicates who are acting on behalf of EMMS to provide current administration for the EMMS programme.
How to apply:
Please read fully the consultant brief: MDEM and EMMS Review Brief
To apply, please send in a tender that responds to the brief which outlines your methodology and approach to email@example.com by 5pm on the 20th July.