East Midlands 6th Annual Data Survey
What is the Annual Museum Survey?
This year will be the sixth year of carrying out the Annual Data Survey of Museums. The purpose of the survey is to gather evidence to help demonstrate and prove the social and economic importance of museums both locally and regionally to funders and stakeholders.
The survey asks museums and heritage organisations across the region to provide core statistical data about their visitors, educational engagement, volunteers, staff and financial operations for the period 1 April 2019 – 31 March 2020.
The data generated by this survey is critical for both museums and our sector as a whole. It informs strategy, benchmarks performance, supports funding applications and can be used for advocacy. Whilst this survey considers the period 2019-20 we have also asked for some key information regarding the impact of closure due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. Data provided for 2019-20 via this survey will provide an important baseline from which to better understand the impact of the pandemic on the museums sector. You can see previous year’s results for the region and counties by visit the MDEM website.
What’s in it for museums?
- Advocacy – evidence to make the case for your social and economic value in order to sustain investment
- Performance benchmarking – consistent data to compare your museum’s operational context
- Informing strategy – knowing your operational context will support your business planning
- Fundraising – the data can be used as evidence to support funding applications or to express your value with the public
- MDEM Support – completing the survey is a gateway to enhanced MDEM support and helps to inform MDEM’s training and funding over the next 12 months
- National Advocacy – with the data MDEM can advocate to funders and national stakeholders for the value of the East Midlands Museums sector
Thank you to everyone who filled out the survey last year. We know it takes time and we really want to express how much we appreciate everyone who has engaged over the last 5 years. We would really like to make sure that the East Midlands continues to have a big presence and to aim for one of the highest return rates!
How to complete the survey:
This year as you are a confirmed contact you have got a direct invite to the survey by email from firstname.lastname@example.org . This will include a link to the survey which is unique to your organisation and automated reminders will be sent throughout the survey period.
It will be coming from email@example.com but because it is generated from survey software, it may land in spam folders. Please keep an eye out for it and save this email to your contacts. We appreciate your support and responses at this challenging time.
Questions about the survey
The Annual Museum Survey is commissioned from South West Museum Development on behalf of each Museum Development provider in England. A range of supporting information, including the questions asked within the survey can be found at https://southwestmuseums.org.uk/what-we-do/consultancy/annual-museum-survey-2020/ including survey questions, technical notes, FAQ and privacy notices.
The deadline for completing the survey is 18 October 2020 and we look forward to sharing the results with you later on this year.