Succession planning is a crucial element of good governance and MDEM’s Organisational Health Check 2020 and 2022 highlights succession planning as a key developmental need for many museums.
This MDEM short programme supports museums to consider all elements of good practice in succession planning and enables them to develop a focused and realistic plan for the future. Facilitated by Heather Lomas, MDEM will provide a blend of intensive support to a cohort of 6 museums. This programme has run previously in 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 and supported the following organisations:
- Bakewell and District Historical Society (Bakewell Old House Museum)
- Wirksworth Heritage Centre
- Ashby Museum
- Diseworth Heritage Centre
- Hinckley Museum
- The Foxton Incline Plane Trust (Boilerhouse museum)
- Castle Donington Museum
- Rocks by Rail
- Eyam Museum
The programme will start with an introductory session, followed by Introduction to Diversity and Inclusion workshop led by Inclusive Boards.
This will be followed by two online meetings of the cohort, focussing on key elements of succession planning. There will be additional one to one support available, access to a peer support network, provision of resources, links to additional information, plus a final peer support meeting in November 2023 to share learning from the programme.
This programme aims to:
- Support museums in developing plans for succession of trustees and boards
- Champion diversity and encourage museums to have a range of people represented on their boards
- Facilitate museums to develop effective plans and procedures for trustee recruitment.
- Enable museums to develop equality action plans
- Provide museums with peer group meetings, one to one support, resources and signposting
This opportunity is open to six museums in the East and West Midlands regions who are accredited and from non-national portfolio or national organisations. Each applying organisation should nominate up to three people to be involved, this should include your Chair if possible and other trustees where applicable. Please note we can only accept applications from those who can commit to attending all the proposed support available.
- Museums will have increased awareness of the importance of board diversity and inclusivity.
- Museums will have developed plans for board succession planning.
- Museum boards will have new trustees and more diverse trustees than previously.
- Museums will have worked together across the cohort to provide shared learning and peer support.
- Your museum will have developed equality action plans
How to apply:
To apply for this opportunity, please read the full Programme Information and complete the Expression of Interest form by the 24th March 2023 and email to firstname.lastname@example.org Depending on interest this may be a competitive process and all applicants will be notified if they are successful by 31st March 2023.
Please note that MDEM will be managing the application process for both East and West Midlands. You can view our data processing policy here.
For more information, please contact Heather Lomas.